I’m recovering from pneumonia but I couldn’t let the opportunity to share some of my favorite books by some amazing women.
Some of these books I’ve discussed or reviewed on the blog but all of them are invaluable to me and my experience as woman and a lover of literature.
1. Americanah – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
2. Seraph on the Suwanee – Zora Neal Hurston
3. Annie John – Jamaica Kincaid
4. Kindred – Octavia Butler
5. Daughter of Fortune – Isabel Allende
6. Unbowed – Wangari Maathai
7. The Goddess Chronicle – Natsuo Kirino
8. Interpreter of Maladies – Jhumpa Lahiri
9. Sassafrass, Cypress and Indigo – Ntozake Shange
10. Push the Button – Feminista Jones
Please keep in mind, this is a small list in my mind. I tried to select stories told by women of different walks of life with a variety of genres to choose from. These 10 books to me are essential to me because they all helped me understand more about the world and myself.
If you do read one of these on my recommendation, I would love to hear from you. If you’ve read it before, I’d still love to hear your thoughts.
Who are your favorite female authors?